Monday, May 2, 2011

CCHS Student Wins $4,000 Photo Scholarship



Cathedral City High School sophomore Taylor Burns earned the 2nd place grand prize of a $4,000 scholarship for her creative photography at the Spotlight Awards Scholarships held at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles Saturday night.
"Every time before I go up to bat for my softball team, I say a prayer,"said Burns. "This photo contains some of the things that I pray about before stepping into the batter's box."
The judges compared her picture to Duane Michals, a photographer who blended pictures and words in the 1960s. "The judges said they liked the fact that my picture was unusual in terms of coloring and the shadowing of my words.
"I'm buying a Mac computer and a really good camera with the money," said Burns. She is interested in majoring in communications at Cal-State San Bernardino.
Taylor is not just a photographer; she also writes free verse poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment